Monday, July 10, 2017

Mary Sarah - Comfortable Alone - "Without You" - Single Review

© Katie Kauss - Used by permission
Most people may know Mary Sarah as a  semi-finalist (finishing fifth) from the TV talent show "The Voice" from 2016. But the 22-year-old Texan wasn't a newcomer to music for that show; she actually already was able to look back on a career spanning over a decade. After her TV experience last year, she now just released her first single, "Without You." 

To completely understand who Mary Sarah is, we have to roll back the tape of life. Starting in church and with vocal lessons when she was about nine, she started performing regularly on what is called the Texas Opry circuit, smaller Opry venues in more rural environments. When she was 12 she ventured west for a development deal and got signed by Kidz Bop and an ensuing 6 months tour across the United States. Back in Texas, the late great singer/songwriter and producer Freddy Powers took her "under his wings." Having been Merle's neighbor on a houseboat and frequent co-author, Powers penned Haggard classics like "Natural High" and "A Friend In California." Some of his musical influences are definitely part of "Without You."

When she was 15 she released her debut album "CRAZY GOOD" and three years later doubled down with "BRIDGES," a heartfelt collection of well-known songs, done as duets with the original singers of the hits. Yes, Powers may have helped with introductions, but it was her sheer talent, that made it possible for her to record duets with everybody from the late Ray Price, Merle Haggard, Lynn Anderson and Powers to still living legends like Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, the Oak Ridge Boys, Ronnie Milsap, Vince Gill, Tanya Tucker and even Neil Sedaka.

Fast forward to #77seventeen, as her own hashtag proclaimed. As a gift to herself and to her fans, Mary Sarah released her first single "Without You" since "The Voice" on her birthday. Co-written with Gospel songwriter and producer David Garcia, Bart Butler (Jon Pardi's current single "Heartache On The Dancefloor") and former Dreamworks recording artist Mike Walker it easily bridges the old with the new.

Despite a low-profile, almost restraint jazz-bluesy arrangement (evoking Amy Winehouse) the prominent steel guitar sets traditional contra tones. The lyrics of the mid-tempo break-up song evolve from early hurt and tears to a resolute empowered woman, who is ready again to face the world and actually feels comfortable to be without her former partner. Written from experience, Mary Sarah was quoted:

“The beauty of the poetic words is that finding yourself through a broken relationship is a very empowering thing to do”. 

Her true delivery shows honesty and self-determination to move on. It's a remarkable effort and I know, Freddy Powers would be proud of his former "student." Now we just can wish that the powers that are in radioland share the song on their airwaves with a greater public so we all can enjoy the delights of that new single.

Lyrics:
You left a mark on my heart that I never thought would go away
I cried so hard in the dark I stained my pillow case
Mascara Black, wishin' you'd come back, but that was yesterday

But what a waste
Yeah I'd never thought I would, but baby I'm all good without you

I've got a move on, new song that I'm singing to
I've got a throwback, come back, step in my groove
I've got these going out paint the town red pair of shoes
You bet I do, jokes on you
No, you never thought I would, but baby I'm all good without you

Without you, I got room to breath
I'm finding who I am
I finally had time to see that you just ain't the man
That I thought you had seemed
You're just not all I cracked ya up to be
Yeah, I never thought I would, but baby I'm all good without you

I've got a move, on new song that I'm singing to
I've got a throwback, come back, step in my groove
I've got these going on, paint the town red pair of shoes
You bet I do, jokes on you
No, you never thought I would, but baby I'm all good without you

Yeah I never thought I would, but baby I'm all good without you

I've got a move on, new song that I'm singing to
I got a throwback, come back, step in my groove
I've got these going on, paint the town red pair of shoes
You bet I do
No, you never thought I would, but baby I'm all good without you

No, you never thought I would, but baby I'm all good without you

I'm good

***(*)/***** 3.5/5


Here's also a live version of the song, recorded on WSMV Channel 4 in Nashville



The track is now available at all digital outlets including iTunes and Google Music. Mary Sarah is managed by 144 Entertainment, PR by April Dickey -Bandwagon Publicity
Sources: marysarah.com, youTube, Spotify, Bandwagon Publicity,

No comments:

Post a Comment